Swift Archive: Data Caveat
What is available:
- The data in the archive presently include the Level 1 files and some of the Level 2 files produced by the pipeline processing at the SDC. High level data products will be added to the archive at a later stage when available. Users can produce the high level products by running the ground software on the data files currently in the archive.
- The archive includes only the original messages sent via TDRSS, not the versions sent out via the GCN.
- The archive contains data starting from Nov 2004. The data from Nov 2004 till January 2006 need to be reprocessed to account for the new ingest timeline. The reprocessing of these data is complete till September 2005.
- Observation 00271019000 GRB 070318: the first exposure in the white filter has all star double in the first exposure. This is due to a jump in the spacecraft attitude in the middle of the exposure that is not reported in the attitude data.
- 25 Sep 2007 Status: The spacecraft of the 11 of Aug 2007 experienced an attitude control problem and all instruments were turned off. The XRT and BAT instruments were turned back on the 20 and 23 of August respectively however the attitude control problem has not been completly solved. Data in the archive taken during this period will be all reprocessed after the attitude problem is solved.
- In pipeline versions 3.9.9 through 3.10.*, uvot raw images in the data archives will have been mod 8 corrected, whereas the raw images should be left in their original form. Note that raw images are integer-valued, whereas mod 8 corrected images are real-valued.
Swiftmastr and Swifttdrss Table
- Swiftmastr: Users should be aware that positions in the database table (as well as in the data files) may not be correct in a number of cases, e.g. ra and dec set to 0.0 -90.
- Swiftmastr: Some of the calibration target observations were made with the target offset from the pointing direction. Although the target id was changed to indicate this, the source name was not.
- Swiftmastr : Typically the source name associated with the first observation of a new trigger does not correspond to the GRB name but instead is set in swiftmaster to "Burst". This is gradually corrected.
- Swiftmastr: If the satellite does not slew in response on a burst only BAT data are available for that burst. The coordinates associated to a BAT only burst corresponds to the Swift pointing position when the burst was detected and not to the burst coordinates.
- Swifttdrss: Many of the records in the swifttdrrs database are due to false triggers and do not have any positions associated with them.